For diagram please look here: https://www.deroure.com/images/diagrams/19/10_11amedium.gif
The original gas strut that is used in Lotus Europa cannot be sourced anymore
|Description||Strut, tailgate supporting|
|Qty on Car||2|
Complete label on the gas strut(without the warning etc):
7051WK 0250N 123/07 FF 02
This shows the force of the strut is 250N.
I couldn't find original factory length but length measured: 565mm
Stroke used in the Europa S: 150mm (measured)
Searching and found possible alternatives:
- FIAT Tipo Hatchback (160) (1108 - 1995 , 56 - 146 PK) (586mm 270N)
- VW POLO (6N2) (Year of Construction 10.1999 - 09.2001, 50 - 125 PS, Diesel, Petrol) (585mm 250N)
- RENAULT SAFRANE I (B54_) (Year of Construction 04.1992 - 07.1996, 88 - 262 PS, Diesel, Petrol) also used VOLVO 480 E (482) (Year of Construction 04.1986 - 07.1996, 95 - 122 PS, Petrol) (540mm 250N)
- MINI Convertible (R52) (Year of Construction 07.2004 - 11.2007, 90 - 210 PS, Petrol) also MINI Hatchback (R50, R53) (Year of Construction 06.2001 - 09.2006, 75 - 218 PS, Diesel, Petrol) and MINI Hatchback (R56) (Year of Construction 10.2006 - 02.2012, 120 - 174 PS, Petrol) (577mm 270N)
- PORSCHE Cayenne (9PA) (Year of Construction 09.2002 - 09.2010, 240 - 550 PS, Diesel, Petrol) (585mm 260N)
I installed the Fiat Tipo as a first test (they are cheap: ~3.30 a piece) and they fit without issue. I have noticed that the added strength puts more strain on the tailgate so I would recommend one with lower strength.